Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
Course Description: Participants will learn comprehensive first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) skills, as well as skills required to plan, prevent injury, and promote safety for themselves and peers while in a wilderness or remote workplace or community. Instruction will focus on developing leadership skills, assessment, decision-making skills, and strategies for providing extended care for up to 24 hours. Prevention, health, and wellness of the group is a key focus. Part of the course is taught in an outdoor setting and requires greater physical activity and endurance than typical first aid training.
Intended Audience: Designed for individuals who work in a wilderness setting (3 or more hours from organized health care) with challenging environments and/or varied risk levels and require skills to promote safety for themselves and peers (leading groups in a professional capacity). Suitable for those who wish to become professional guides, parks officials and/or work in fields such as recreation and ecotourism.
Course Prerequisites: Participants must be 16 years of age and in good health and physical condition. Great physical endurance for the scenarios is needed.
- Planning and assessment
- Breathing and circulation emergencies
- CPR and AED
- Wound care
- Head, neck, and spinal injuries
- Bone, muscle, and joint injuries
- Sudden medical emergencies
- Environmental injuries and illnesses
- Poisons and wildlife
- Extended care and evacuation
- Occupational health and safety
- Ability to comprehend and successfully demonstrate the skills
- Ability to complete a written, closed book, independently completed knowledge evaluation with a minimum mark of 75%
- Must meet additional legislative requirements, if applicable
- Participants must attend and participate in 100% of the course
Course duration (time/days): 40 hours (1 week) (more than 25% of course taught in non-urban setting, if possible 50%)
Certification: 3-year certification in Wilderness and Remote First Aid
Included in the course:
- Wilderness & Remote Field Guide
- Trip Plan
- Canadian Red Cross First Aid App (download)
(Hard copy can be purchased, but it is not included in the course)
Camping gear and food for weekend is not provided. Students must bring their own.
If you are registering more than 1 person, please make sure you are using different emails for each participant