Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) – EXPERIENCED PROVIDER
Course Description: ACLS for Experienced Providers goes beyond the core ACLS training by offering critical thinking opportunities for those advanced, experienced, healthcare professionals who use ACLS on a regular basis. The goal of ACLS EP is to improve outcomes in complex cardiovascular, respiratory, and other (e.g., metabolic, toxicologic) emergencies by expanding on core ACLS guidelines and encouraging critical thinking and decision-making strategies. Through cooperative learning and active participation in case-based scenarios, learners enhance their skills in the differential diagnosis and treatment of prearrest, arrest and post arrest patients. ACLS EP builds on skills and knowledge gained through previous ACLS Provider and/or ACLS Provider Renewal courses and real-world experience to deliver an upgraded certification. Designed for healthcare providers who are regularly called on to manage complex cardiovascular, respiratory, and other emergencies, the course emphasizes critical thinking and decision-making. Learners will actively work through scenarios and, with the option of more than 60 case studies, will apply their ACLS knowledge on relevant and challenging topics.
Intended Audience: ACLS EP Course is designed for those who are proficient in performing BLS and ACLS skills, reading and interpreting ECGs, understanding ACLS pharmacology; and who regularly lead or participate in emergency assessment and treatment of prearrest, arrest, or post arrest patients. This includes personnel in emergency medicine, intensive care, and critical care units such as physicians, nurses, and advanced care paramedics, as well as others who care for high acuity patients from cardiopulmonary arrest or other cardiovascular emergencies.
- Current Heart & Stroke BLS Provider certification
- Current Heart & Stroke ACLS Provider certification
- Complete the online ACLS EP Entrance Exam (passing score = 84%). The link for the ACLS EP Entrance Exam will be sent to you after the course registration (Additional cost $20)
The ACLS EP course leverages an ACLS Provider’s existing clinical skills, knowledge, and proficiency. The following competencies are expected of students entering an ACLS Experienced Provider course:
- High-quality BLS
- Extensive ACLS experience
- Recognition of common cardiac ECG rhythms
- Effective airway management and use of adjuncts
- Knowledge of cardiac pharmacology
- Case management experience
- High-performance team skills
- Demonstrate proficiency in providing BLS care, including prioritizing chest compressions and integrating use of an AED
- Recognize and manage respiratory arrest
- Recognize and manage cardiac arrest until termination of resuscitation or transfer of care, including post–cardiac arrest care
Course duration (time/days): 7 hours (1 day)
Certification: 2-years certification in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS).
Course Materials: Books and materials are required on our courses by the Heart and Stroke Foundation. It is the participant’s responsibility to get the materials and it is not included in the course price.
Textbooks can be purchased directly from us, please click on the link below
it can be purchased from the Heart and Stroke Foundation, please click on the link below, sign in, and then click the button that says SHOP
Please ensure you order the following required student materials:
- 2020 Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) Provider Manual – (Heart and Stroke Product Code: RE5610)
- 2020 Handbook of Emergency Cardiovascular Care for Healthcare Provider – (Heart and Stroke Product Code: RE0130)
- ACLS Reference Cards – (Heart and Stroke Product Code: RE5670) It is already included in Provider Manual but also sold separately if an extra one is needed.
It is advised that you read the textbook, in its entirety, prior to the course.
If you are registering more than 1 person, please make sure you are using different emails for each participant