Basic Life Support (BLS)
Course Description: Basic Life Support (BLS) is the foundation for saving lives after cardiac arrest. It is designed for healthcare providers and trained first responders who provide care to patients in a wide variety of settings and teaches both single-rescuer and team basic life support skills for application in pre-hospital and in-facility settings. This course trains participants to promptly recognize several life-threatening emergencies, give high-quality chest compressions, deliver appropriate ventilations, and provide early use of an AED. It includes adult, child, and infant rescue techniques.
Intended Audience: This course is designed for healthcare providers and trained first responders who provide care to patients in a wide variety of both in-facility and pre-hospital settings or by those that require BLS certification and CPR training to enter a healthcare-related training program.
Course Prerequisites: None
The BLS Provider Course focuses on what rescuers need to know to perform high-quality CPR in a wide variety of settings. You will also learn how to respond to choking emergencies.
Basic Life Support Course Contents:
- Importance of high-quality CPR and its impact on survival
- Steps of the Chain of Survival and applying the BLS concepts of the Chain of Survival
- Recognize the signs of someone needing CPR
- Perform high-quality CPR for adults, children, and infants
- Importance of early defibrillation and use of an AED
- Use of a barrier device to provide effective ventilations
- Importance of teams in multi-rescuer resuscitation and performing as an effective team member during multi-rescuer CPR
- Technique for relief of foreign-body airway obstruction (choking) in adults, children, and infants
Course duration (time/days): 3.5 hours (1 day)
Certification: 1-year certification in Basic Life Support (BLS). BLS Provider certifications issued prior to May 15, 2022, are valid for 2 years in Quebec.
Course Materials: Books and materials are required on our courses by the Heart and Stroke Foundation. It is the participant’s responsibility to get the materials and it is not included in the course price.
Textbooks can be purchased directly from us, please click on the link below
it can be purchased from the Heart and Stroke Foundation, please click on the link below, sign in, and then click the button that says SHOP
Please ensure you order the following required student materials:
- 2020 Basic Life Support (BLS) Provider Manual – (Heart and Stroke Product Code: RE3410)
- BLS Reference Card – (Heart and Stroke Product Code: RE3470) It is already included in Provider Manual but also sold separately if an extra one is needed.
It is advised that you read the textbook, in its entirety, prior to the course.
If you are registering more than 1 person, please make sure you are using different emails for each participant
Engaging with the students and making sure we were following along. No areas of improvement, one of the best instructors I have ever had!!
Instructor was very flexible based on the type of attendance
Jeffrey was really fun to work with and was extremely knowledgeable in the material. I really liked how he made things comical while explaining what could be a really serious situation. He was really engaging which I loved!