Basic Life Support (BLS) - RECERTIFICATION
Course Description: BLS Provider Renewal course is a fast-paced course designed for experienced healthcare providers; covering single-rescuer and multi-rescuer basic life support skills for application in both prehospital and in-facility environments, with a focus on high-quality CPR and team dynamics. The BLS course assumes comprehensive awareness, knowledge, and skill proficiency in Heart & Stroke BLS concepts. The course is best suited to healthcare providers who use BLS skills regularly and therefore require limited practice to be successful.
Intended Audience: This course is designed for healthcare providers and trained first responders who provide care to patients in a wide variety of both in-facility and pre-hospital settings or by those that require BLS certification and CPR training to enter a healthcare-related training program.
Course Prerequisites: Current Heart & Stroke BLS Provider certification that is about to expire. Your certificate cannot be expired (it expires 1 year to the day after it was issued).
NOTE: You would have to bring the old certificate to the class (printed or a copy in the phone). If your certificate is ALREADY expired, you would have to take a full BLS Provider course.
The BLS Provider Course focuses on what rescuers need to know to perform high-quality CPR in a wide variety of settings. You will also learn how to respond to choking emergencies.
Basic Life Support Course Contents:
- Importance of high-quality CPR and its impact on survival
- Steps of the Chain of Survival and applying the BLS concepts of the Chain of Survival
- Recognize the signs of someone needing CPR
- Perform high-quality CPR for adults, children, and infants
- Importance of early defibrillation and use of an AED
- Use of a barrier device to provide effective ventilations
- Importance of teams in multi-rescuer resuscitation and performing as an effective team member during multi-rescuer CPR
- Technique for relief of foreign-body airway obstruction (choking) in adults, children, and infants
Course duration (time/days): 2.5 hours (1 day)
Certification: 1-year certification in Basic Life Support (BLS). BLS Provider certifications issued prior to May 15, 2022, are valid for 2 years in Quebec.
Course Materials: Books and materials are required on our courses by the Heart and Stroke Foundation. It is the participant’s responsibility to get the materials and it is not included in the course price.
Textbooks can be purchased directly from us, please click on the link below
it can be purchased from the Heart and Stroke Foundation, please click on the link below, sign in, and then click the button that says SHOP
Please ensure you order the following required student materials:
- 2020 Basic Life Support (BLS) Provider Manual – (Heart and Stroke Product Code: RE3410)
- BLS Reference Card – (Heart and Stroke Product Code: RE3470) It is already included in Provider Manual but also sold separately if an extra one is needed.
It is advised that you read the textbook, in its entirety, prior to the course.
If you are registering more than 1 person, please make sure you are using different emails for each participant
Excellent course delivery.
Jeff was incredible!! I’ve taken this course a few times now over the years, but this was by far my favorite class. He was very clear, knowledgeable and personable. I would definitely take this class again with your organization.