Basic Life Support (BLS) - Recertification Course
Course Description: BLS Provider Renewal course is a fast-paced course designed for experienced healthcare professionals. We teach how to perform basic life support in single-rescuer and multi-rescuer environments as well as in pre-hospital and in-facility settings with a focus on high-quality CPR and team dynamics. The BLS course assumes comprehensive awareness, knowledge, and skill proficiency in Heart & Stroke BLS concepts. The course is best suited to healthcare providers who use basic life support skills regularly and therefore require limited practice to be successful.
Intended Audience: This course is designed for in-facility and pre-hospital care providers and trained first responders who work in a variety of settings. It is also for those that require BLS certification and CPR training to enter a healthcare-related training program.
Course Prerequisites: Current Heart & Stroke BLS Provider certification that is about to expire. Your certificate cannot be expired (it expires 1 year to the day after it was issued).
NOTE: You would have to bring your old certificate (printed or digital copy) to the class. If your certificate is ALREADY expired, you must take the full BLS Provider course.
Basic Life Support Course Overview
The BLS Provider Course focuses on what rescuers need to know to perform high-quality CPR in a wide variety of settings. You will also learn how to respond to choking emergencies.
Basic Life Support Course Contents:
- Importance of high-quality CPR and its impact on survival
- Steps of the Chain of Survival and applying the BLS concepts of the Chain of Survival
- Recognize the signs of someone needing CPR
- Perform high-quality CPR for adults, children, and infants
- The importance of early defibrillation and how to use an automated external defibrillator (AED) to perform rapid defibrillation
- Use of a barrier device to provide effective ventilations
- Importance of teams in multi-rescuer resuscitation and performing as an effective team member during multi-rescuer CPR
- Technique for relief of foreign-body airway obstruction (choking) in adults, children, and infants
Participants must pass a written exam and course skill competencies test in order to qualify for a BLS Provider Course Completion Card.
2.5 hours (1 day)
Upon successful completion of the course, participants receive 1-year certification in Basic Life Support (BLS). BLS Provider certifications issued prior to May 15, 2022, are valid for 2 years in Quebec.
The Heart and Stroke Foundation mandates the books and resources we require for our courses. These materials are not included within the course fee, and it is incumbent on the participants to obtain them. If you wish to purchase textbooks directly from us, you may do so here. Alternatively, you can buy them from the Heart and Stroke Foundation by logging in on their website and clicking the 'Shop' option.
Please ensure you order the following required participant materials:
- 2020 Basic Life Support (BLS) Provider Manual – (Heart and Stroke Product Code: RE3410)
- BLS Reference Card – (Heart and Stroke Product Code: RE3470) It is already included in the Provider Manual but also sold separately if an extra one is needed.
It is advised that you read the textbook, in its entirety, prior to the course.
Our BLS courses are available at various sites, including Ottawa, Kingston, Montreal, Pembroke, Arnprior, Kemptville, and Smith Falls. Our certified instructors deliver practical training to equip you with the necessary skills to effectively manage emergency situations.
If you have questions about course availability or require more information, don't hesitate to contact us. Our courses address a wide range of subjects, from essential life support to advanced resuscitation methods. We are devoted to offering high-quality education to medical and dental professionals, as well as individuals that want to enhance their life saving capabilities.
If you are registering more than 1 person, please make sure you are using different emails for each participant
Basic Life Support (BLS) - RECERTIFICATION
Excellent course delivery.
Jeff was incredible!! I’ve taken this course a few times now over the years, but this was by far my favorite class. He was very clear, knowledgeable and personable. I would definitely take this class again with your organization.