Basic Life Support Course - Thunder Bay
This BLS course is in Thunder Bay
Course Description: Basic Life Support (BLS) is the foundation for saving lives after cardiac arrest. It is designed for healthcare professionals and trained first responders who provide care to patients in a wide variety of settings. The course provides instruction on how to perform basic life support with skills that apply to both a single-rescuer and a team environment, as well as pre-hospital and in-facility settings.
This course trains participants to promptly recognize several life-threatening emergencies, give high-quality chest compressions, deliver appropriate ventilations, and perform rapid defibrillation. It includes adult, child, and infant rescue techniques in order to build participant confidence in their life support skills for any segment of the population.
Intended Audience: This course is designed for in-facility and pre-hospital care providers and first responders who need to provide rapid assessment and life-saving assistance in a variety of situations and settings. It is also for those that require BLS certification and CPR training to enter a healthcare-related training program.
Course Prerequisites: None
Basic Life Support Course Overview
The BLS Provider Course focuses on what rescuers need to know for performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) in a wide variety of settings. You will also learn how to respond to choking emergencies.
Basic Life Support Course Contents:
- Importance of high-quality CPR and its impact on survival
- Steps of the Chain of Survival and applying the BLS concepts of the Chain of Survival
- Recognize the signs of someone needing CPR
- Perform high-quality CPR for adults, children, and infants
- Importance of early defibrillation and use of an automated external defibrillator (AED)
- Use of a barrier device to provide effective ventilations
- Importance of teams in multi-rescuer resuscitation and performing as an effective team member during multi-rescuer CPR
- Technique for relief of foreign-body airway obstruction (choking) in adults, children, and infants
Participants must pass a written exam and skills test in order to qualify for a BLS Provider Course Completion Card.
3.5 hours (1 day)
1-year certification in Basic Life Support (BLS). BLS Provider certifications issued prior to May 15, 2022, are valid for 2 years in Quebec.
The books and materials needed for our courses are required by the Heart and Stroke Foundation. The course materials are not included in the course price, and it is the participants’ responsibility to acquire them. Textbooks can be purchased directly from us here. Otherwise, they can be purchased from the Heart and Stroke Foundation once you sign in on their website and click the 'Shop' button.
Please ensure you order the following required participant materials:
- 2020 Basic Life Support (BLS) Provider Manual – (Heart and Stroke Product Code: RE3410)
- BLS Reference Card – (Heart and Stroke Product Code: RE3470) It is already included in the Provider Manual but also sold separately if an extra one is needed.
It is advised that you read the textbook, in its entirety, prior to the course.
Our Basic Life Support for healthcare providers course is offered in multiple locations, including Ottawa, Kingston, Montreal, Pembroke, Arnprior, Kemptville, and Smith Falls. Our certified instructors provide hands-on training to ensure you are prepared to handle emergency situations.
If you have questions about course availability or require more information, don't hesitate to contact us. Our courses address a wide range of subjects, from essential life support to advanced resuscitation methods. We are devoted to offering high-quality education to medical and dental professionals, as well as individuals that want to enhance their life-saving capabilities.