Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) -BLENDED
Course Description: Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS Blended) is a mix of self-paced, online learning and 9 hours in classroom learning format. It is divided into parts of the curriculum on your own time and at your own pace. After finishing the online part, participants can take the instructor-led, in-classroom component when the participant is ready. This course will help you to develop individual skills – as a member of a healthcare team – in simulated real-life situations that mirror your work life in which you’ll need to recognize and respond to cardiopulmonary arrests or other cardiovascular emergencies involving pediatric patients.
These simulations will involve high-quality CPR, high-performance team dynamics and communication, and a systematic approach to pediatric assessment that includes the evaluate-identify-intervene sequence. You will be able to reinforce concepts, undertake skills practice, receive coaching and correction, and refine your abilities before final testing.
Intended Audience: The premier advanced resuscitation program designed for healthcare providers to improve outcomes for pediatric patients experiencing respiratory emergencies, shock and cardiopulmonary arrest. This includes personnel in emergency response, emergency medicine, intensive care, and critical care units such as physicians, nurses, and paramedics, as well as others who need an PALS course completion card for job or other requirements.
- Current Heart & Stroke BLS Provider certification
- Completed PALS Online portion
- PALS pre-course self-assessment certificate (passing score = 70%). The link for the pre-course self-assessment will be sent to you after the course registration.
The following competencies are expected of students entering a PALS Provider course:
- High-quality BLS
- Recognition of common pediatric cardiac ECG rhythms
- Effective airway management and use of adjuncts
- Knowledge of pediatric cardiopulmonary pharmacology
- Practical management of complex cases
- High-performance team skills
Students must pass a written exam and skills test in order to qualify for a PALS Provider Course Completion Card.
- Reflects science of the most recent Guidelines Update for CPR and Emergency Cardiovascular Care (ECC)
- Hands-on class format that integrates BLS and PALS interventions
- High-quality CPR and team dynamics
- Real world scenarios
- Pediatric systematic approach
- High-quality CPR (Basic Life Support)
- Respiratory emergencies and early interventions
- Shock emergencies and early interventions
- Cardiopulmonary arrest and early interventions
- Post–cardiac arrest management
- Multi-rescuer resuscitation and team dynamics
- Recognition and treatment of infants and children at risk for cardiopulmonary arrest
- Systematic approach to pediatric assessment
- Effective respiratory management
- Validation of skills for one-person and two-person CPR and AED skills for infants and children
- Defibrillation and synchronized cardioversion
- Intraosseous access and fluid bolus administration
- Effective resuscitation team dynamics
Course duration (time/days): 9 hours (1 day)
Certification: 2-years certification in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS).
Course Materials: Books and materials are required on our courses by the Heart and Stroke Foundation. It is the participant’s responsibility to get the materials and it is not included in the course price.
Textbooks can be purchased directly from us, please click on the link below
it can be purchased from the Heart and Stroke Foundation, please click on the link below, sign in, and then click the button that says SHOP
Please ensure you order the following required student materials:
- 2020 Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Provider Manual – (Heart and Stroke Product Code: RE6210)
- 2020 Handbook of Emergency Cardiovascular Care for Healthcare Provider – (Heart and Stroke Product Code: RE0130)
- PALS Reference Cards – (Heart and Stroke Product Code: RE6270) It is already included in Provider Manual but also sold separately if an extra one is needed.
Online part of the course is included in the cost and it will be sent to email that was provided upon registration
It is advised that you read the textbook, in its entirety, prior to the course.
If you are registering more than 1 person, please make sure you are using different emails for each participant