Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) - BLENDED - Thunder Bay
Course by Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada
This course is in Thunder Bay
Course Description: The Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Blended Course by Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada course offers a unique learning experience that combines self-paced, online learning modules with 9 hours of in-classroom instruction. The course is structured into different sections, allowing participants to complete the curriculum at their own pace and convenience. Once the online portion is successfully completed, participants can proceed to the instructor-led, in-classroom component when they feel prepared.
This comprehensive course is designed to enhance individual skills within a healthcare team, immersing participants in simulated real-life scenarios that closely resemble their work environment. During these simulations, you will engage in various elements crucial to effective pediatric care. This includes practicing high-quality CPR, fostering high-performance team dynamics, enhancing communication skills, and adopting a systematic approach to pediatric assessment, following the evaluate-identify-intervene sequence.
By participating in these simulations, you will develop the ability to recognize and effectively respond to cardiopulmonary arrests or other cardiovascular emergencies involving pediatric patients.
Intended Audience: The Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) program is the leading advanced resuscitation program meticulously designed to enhance outcomes for pediatric patients facing respiratory emergencies, shock, and cardiopulmonary arrest.
This comprehensive training is specifically tailored for healthcare providers, including personnel in emergency response, emergency medicine, intensive care, and critical care units. It caters to a wide range of professionals, such as physicians, nurses, paramedics, and others who require a PALS course completion card to meet job or other specific requirements. By successfully completing this program, participants gain the necessary skills and certification to confidently address critical pediatric situations and contribute to improved patient outcomes.
- Current Heart & Stroke BLS Provider certification
- Completed PALS Online portion
- PALS pre-course self-assessment certificate (passing score = 70%). The link for the pre-course self-assessment will be sent to you after the course registration.
The following competencies are expected of students entering a PALS Provider course:
- High-quality BLS
- Recognition of common pediatric cardiac ECG rhythms
- Effective airway management and use of adjuncts
- Knowledge of pediatric cardiopulmonary pharmacology
- Practical management of complex cases
- High-performance team skills
Students must pass a written exam and skills test in order to qualify for a PALS Provider Course Completion Card.
Blended Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Course Overview
- Reflects science of the most recent Guidelines Update for CPR and Emergency Cardiovascular Care (ECC)
- Hands-on class format that integrates BLS and PALS interventions
- High-quality CPR and team dynamics
- Real world scenarios
Blended Pediatric Advanced Life Support Content:
- Pediatric systematic approach
- High-quality CPR (Basic Life Support)
- Respiratory emergencies and early interventions
- Shock emergencies and early interventions
- Cardiopulmonary arrest and early interventions
- Post–cardiac arrest management
- Multi-rescuer resuscitation and team dynamics
- Recognition and treatment of infants and children at risk for cardiopulmonary arrest
- Systematic approach to pediatric assessment
- Effective respiratory management
- Validation of skills for one-person and two-person CPR and AED skills for infants and children
- Defibrillation and synchronized cardioversion
- Intraosseous access and fluid bolus administration
- Effective resuscitation team dynamics
9 hours (1 day)
2-years certification in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS).
*The online portion of the course is included in the course price*
The books and materials we use for our courses are required by the Heart and Stroke Foundation. Please note that these materials are not included in the course price. It is the responsibility of each participant to acquire the required materials before attending the course.
To purchase textbooks from us, please click here.
Purchased them from the Heart and Stroke Foundation. Click on the link below, sign in, and then click the button that says SHOP.
Please ensure you order the following required student materials:
- 2020 Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Provider Manual – (Heart and Stroke Product Code: RE6210)
- 2020 Handbook of Emergency Cardiovascular Care for Healthcare Provider – (Heart and Stroke Product Code: RE0130)
- PALS Reference Cards – (Heart and Stroke Product Code: RE6270) It is already included in the Provider Manual but also sold separately if an extra one is needed.
The online part of the course is included in the cost, and it will be sent to the e-mail that was provided upon registration
*It is advised that you read the textbook, in its entirety, prior to the course.
PALS Blended Course Availability
Our Pediatric Advanced Life Support course for healthcare providers is conducted through a blended learning approach, combining online instruction with in-person sessions. This comprehensive training program is available at various locations in Ottawa, Kingston, Montreal, Pembroke, Arnprior, Kemptville, and Smith Falls. Led by certified instructors specialized in pediatric care, our hands-on training sessions and interactive online modules equip healthcare professionals with the necessary knowledge and skills to confidently handle emergency situations.
Feel free to reach out to us for any inquiries about course availability or if you need additional information. Our selection of courses spans various subjects, encompassing everything from basic life support to advanced resuscitation methods. Our unwavering dedication lies in providing unparalleled education that caters to the unique needs of healthcare professionals. We also encourage individuals who wish to enhance their life-saving skills and contribute effectively to emergency situations to enroll in our courses.
If you are registering more than 1 person, please make sure you are using different emails for each participant