Remote First Aid (RFA)
Course Description: Comprehensive first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) skills for those who live or work in a non-urban or remote workplace or community, or who are outdoor recreation enthusiasts. Participants will gain the skills and training required for planning, preventing injury, and promoting individual safety in a remote setting. Includes strategies for providing extended care in a remote setting for up to 24 hours. Part of the course is taught in an outdoor setting and requires greater physical activity and endurance than typical first aid training.
Intended Audience: Individuals who live or work in non-urban or remote workplaces or communities, or in a wilderness environment (2–3 hours from organized health care) and people over the age of 13.
Course Prerequisites: Participant must be in good health and physical condition. Great physical endurance for the scenarios is needed.
- Planning and assessment
- Breathing and circulation emergencies
- CPR and AED
- Wound care
- Head, neck, and spinal injuries
- Bone, muscle, and joint injuries
- Sudden medical emergencies
- Environmental injuries and illnesses
- Poisons and wildlife
- Extended care and evacuation
- Occupational health and safety
- Ability to comprehend and successfully demonstrate the skills
- Ability to complete a written, closed book, independently completed knowledge evaluation with a minimum mark of 75%
- Must meet additional legislative requirements, if applicable
- Participants must attend and participate in 100% of the course
Course duration (time/days): 20 hours (2 days) (more than 25% of course taught in non-urban setting, if possible 50%)
Certification: 3-year certification in Wilderness and Remote First Aid
Included in the course:
- Wilderness & Remote Field Guide
- Trip Plan
- Canadian Red Cross First Aid App (download)
(Hard copy can be purchased, but it is not included in the course)
Camping gear and food for weekend is not provided. Students must bring their own.
If you are registering more than 1 person, please make sure you are using different emails for each participant