Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) - Recertification Course
Course Description: Our Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) certification renewal course is a video-based, Instructor-led, advanced course that builds on the foundation of basic life support (BLS) skills for students who have already successfully completed ACLS certification.
The significance of continuous, high-quality CPR in improving patient outcomes cannot be overstated, with recent advancements in healthcare provider training showcasing the crucial role of high-performance team dynamics and effective communication. This comprehensive approach underscores the need to address not only the immediate cardiopulmonary arrest situation but also extends to the complete cycle of care, encompassing immediate post-cardiac arrest management, acute dysrhythmia intervention, stroke recognition, and the treatment of acute coronary syndromes. Such a broadened perspective empowers healthcare professionals to better identify and respond to emergencies and optimizes the overall efficacy of the medical response.
Intended Audience: The Heart and Stroke Foundation understands the ever-evolving landscape of emergency medicine and the critical need for healthcare professionals to stay current with contemporary practices. With this in mind, they have meticulously crafted their ACLS recertification course to cater to the specific needs of those involved in the management of cardiopulmonary arrest and other cardiovascular emergencies.
This advanced curriculum is tailored for a wide range of medical personnel, such as those working in emergency response teams, emergency medicine departments, intensive care, and critical care units. Physicians, nurses, and paramedics alike can all greatly benefit from this highly specialized and focused recertification course, as well as any other individuals seeking an ACLS course completion card to fulfill job or additional requirements.
Designed to equip these dedicated professionals with the most up-to-date knowledge and skills, the Heart and Stroke Foundation's ACLS recertification course is an essential tool for maintaining the highest standards in life-saving care.
- Current Heart & Stroke BLS Provider certification
- Current Heart & Stroke ACLS Provider certification that is about to expire. Your certificate cannot be expired (it expires 2 years to the day after it was issued).
- ACLS pre-course self-assessment certificate (passing score = 70%). The link for the pre-course self-assessment will be sent to you after the course registration.
The following competencies are expected of students entering a ACLS Provider course:
- Performing high-quality BLS skills using the most recent Guidelines Update for CPR and ECC
- Reading and interpreting electrocardiograms (ECGs)- Be able to identify—on a monitor and paper tracing—rhythms associated with bradycardia, tachycardia with adequate perfusion, tachycardia with poor perfusion, and pulseless arrest. These rhythms include but are not limited to:
- Normal sinus rhythm
- Sinus bradycardia
- Type I second-degree AV block
- Type II second-degree AV block
- Third-degree AV block
- Sinus tachycardia
- Supraventricular tachycardias
- Ventricular tachycardia
- Ventricular fibrillation
- Organized rhythm without a pulse
- Understanding ACLS drugs- have a basic understanding of the essential drugs used in:
- Cardiac arrest
- Tachycardia with adequate perfusion
- Tachycardia with poor perfusion
- Immediate post–cardiac arrest care
- A current Heart and Stroke Foundation BLS course completion card
- Complete a mandatory Pre-course Self-Assessment.
The ACLS Provider Course emphasizes 3 major concepts:
- The crucial importance of high-quality cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) to patient survival
- The integration of effective basic life support (BLS) with ACLS interventions
- The importance of effective team interaction and communication during resuscitation The course is designed to give students the opportunity to practice and demonstrate proficiency in the following skills used in resuscitation:
- Systematic approach
- High-quality BLS
- Airway management
- Rhythm recognition
- Intravenous (IV)/intraosseous (IO) access (information only)
- Use of medications
- Transcutaneous pacing
- Team dynamics
Students must pass a written exam and skills test in order to qualify for a ACLS Provider Course Completion Card.
7 hours (1 day)
2-year certification in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS).
Books and materials are required on our courses by the Heart and Stroke Foundation. It is the participant’s responsibility to get the materials and it is not included in the course price.
Course textbooks and materials are available directly from First Aid Plus, use the following link to buy ACLS course textbooks and materials or they can be purchased from the Heart and Stroke Foundation, please click on the link below, sign in, and then click the button that says SHOP
Please ensure you order the following required student materials:
- 2020 Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) Provider Manual – (Heart and Stroke Product Code: RE5610)
- 2020 Handbook of Emergency Cardiovascular Care for Healthcare Provider – (Heart and Stroke Product Code: RE0130)
- ACLS Reference Cards – (Heart and Stroke Product Code: RE5670) It is already included in the Provider Manual but also sold separately if an extra one is needed.
It is highly recommended that you read the textbook in its entirety prior to beginning the course, as it will provide you with a solid foundation and an in-depth understanding of the material. As you embark on this journey to maintain your skills and enhance your knowledge, you'll find that our course is conveniently offered in several cities across Ontario and Quebec, including Montreal, Ottawa, Kingston, Pembroke, Arnprior, Kemptville, and Smith Falls. With a professional approach and a supportive learning environment, we strive to ensure that your recertification experience is both enriching and enjoyable.
Looking to enhance your first aid skills? We offer a range of courses, from basic life support to advanced cardiac life support and others, suitable for healthcare providers and anyone interested in developing their lifesaving abilities. Our commitment to providing top-quality education is unwavering.
Contact us to check course availability or to get answers to any questions you may have.
If you are registering more than 1 person, please make sure you are using different emails for each participant
Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) - Recertification Course
This company does does great work. Very thorough and friend.
Great job and getting the message across! Great communication skills. Would definitely do again!
He was very patient in reviewing the concepts that I had difficulties with and provided recommendations on how to improve.