Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Course
Course Description: The Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Provider course equips healthcare professionals with the essential knowledge and skills to effectively identify and treat critically ill infants and children. Through a scenario-based approach, our course materials emphasize a team-oriented approach to emergency management for pediatric patients who are either approaching or already in respiratory or cardiac arrest. From the initial moments to patient stabilization and/or transportation phases, this comprehensive training covers all aspects of pediatric emergencies, both within and outside the hospital setting.
Intended Audience: The Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) course is specifically tailored for healthcare professionals responsible for initiating and leading advanced life support during pediatric emergencies. It is also suitable for healthcare students who are seeking initial PALS training or need to renew their PALS-training credentials. This comprehensive course equips participants with the necessary skills and knowledge to confidently respond to critical situations involving pediatric patients.
- Current Heart & Stroke BLS Provider certification
- PALS pre-course self-assessment certificate. The link for the pre-course self-assessment will be sent to you after the course registration.
The following competencies are expected of students entering a PALS Provider course:
- High-quality BLS
- Recognition of common pediatric cardiac ECG rhythms
- Effective airway management and use of adjuncts
- Knowledge of pediatric cardiopulmonary pharmacology
- Practical management of complex cases
- High-performance team skills
Students must pass a written exam and skills test in order to qualify for a PALS Course Completion Card.
Pediatric Advanced Life Support Course Overview
- Reflects science of the most recent Guidelines Update for CPR and Emergency Cardiovascular Care (ECC)
- Hands-on class format that integrates BLS and PALS interventions
- High-quality CPR and team dynamics
- Real world scenarios
Pediatric Advanced Life Support Course Content:
- Pediatric systematic approach
- High-quality CPR (Basic Life Support)
- Respiratory emergencies and early interventions
- Shock emergencies and early interventions
- Cardiopulmonary arrest and early interventions
- Post–cardiac arrest management
- Multi-rescuer resuscitation and team dynamics
- Recognition and treatment of infants and children at risk for cardiopulmonary arrest
- Systematic approach to pediatric assessment
- Effective respiratory management
- Validation of skills for one-person and two-person CPR and AED skills for infants and children
- Defibrillation and synchronized cardioversion
- Intraosseous access and fluid bolus administration
- Effective resuscitation team dynamics
14 hours (2 days)
2-years certification in Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS).
The books and materials we use for our courses are required by the Heart and Stroke Foundation. Please note that these materials are not included in the course price. It is the responsibility of each participant to acquire the required materials before attending the course.
To purchase textbooks from us, please click here.
Purchased them from the Heart and Stroke Foundation. Click on the link below, sign in, and then click the button that says SHOP.
Please ensure you order the following required student materials:
- 2020 Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Provider Manual – (Heart and Stroke Product Code: RE6210)
- 2020 Handbook of Emergency Cardiovascular Care for Healthcare Provider – (Heart and Stroke Product Code: RE0130)
- PALS Reference Card – (Heart and Stroke Product Code: RE6270) It is already included in the Provider Manual but also sold separately if an extra one is needed.
*It is advised that you read the textbook, in its entirety, prior to the course.
We conduct our Pediatric Advanced Life Support course for healthcare providers at multiple locations across Ottawa, Kingston, Montreal, Pembroke, Arnprior, Kemptville, and Smith Falls. Our aim is to provide comprehensive training, ensuring they are fully prepared to handle emergency situations. Led by certified instructors with expertise in pediatric care, our program offers hands-on training sessions that equip healthcare professionals with the knowledge and skills needed to respond effectively in critical scenarios.
For any inquiries regarding course availability or if you need additional information, please feel free to reach out to us. Our extensive range of courses covers various subjects, ranging from essential life support to advanced resuscitation methods. We are dedicated to providing top-notch education tailored to the needs of healthcare professionals. Our courses also are open to individuals who aspire to improve their life-saving skills and contribute to emergency situations effectively.
If you are registering more than 1 person, please make sure you are using different emails for each participant
Colin was amazing! Very skilled and has a clear understanding of the PALS material. He was able to demonstrate how the theory relates to real life. Hearing his experiences helped solidify knowledge. He gave clear feedback after the mega codes and identified areas of improvement. Couldn't recommend more. Thank you!